Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Making time for writing

From the Kaisen Plan (http://smallstepstobigchange.com/), I recently visited this webpage and was pleased with what I found. Lynn's insights are life changing. My response on Lynn's FAC page.

Lynn: After reading and posting on your site, I did some serious soul searching, changed some things and just added the following as a post on my writer's group.

So... I'm not writing. I keep asking myself, "What's wrong?" I'm getting bunches of "stuff" done every day - living between home office and an RV, meeting with contractors to finally begin work on home restoration, a small surgery, running a business, mail, bills, balancing check books, husband surgeries, being POA on a failing aunt and uncle, yada yada yada... living life but not writing. Then I visited a website a fellow writer(http://skytalewriter.blogspot.com) mentioned: The Kaisen Plan (an Oriental word for "continuous improvement" @ http://smallstepstobigchange.com/

Over the past week, I've asked myself some serious questions. Why is everything more important than my writing? Why don't "I" make it on my list of "To Do Today"?"

I began adding in 10 minute increments of writing and felt ... amazing. Then I pondered my life-style and how I really enjoy working. I enjoy working hard. I remembered that when I did my undergrad work, I did a triple. Yes, you heard right - a triple: art, creative writing and literature. Okay so with eight children, it's a lifestyle now. Not so much a choice.

I needed something more. I rearranged my gmail folder and put "A Writer" filefolder at the head of the list. It's a constant reminder that I am a writer and a reminder that writers write every day. Next I set up two additional Scrivener projects and keep them on my desktop. My YA fiction - "The Questing Pearl;" my non-fiction novel- "The Deplorable Child;" and my craft book - "Right, Write, and Wordwright."

Guess what? I'm writing every day. I'm feeling better, more in balance, more creative. I was trying to pare down life when all I needed to do was balance the scales.

Thanks, Lynn. You remind me of an old adage: When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment