Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Quotes, Words, and Feelings

I love quotes. As a calligrapher, I have a small sign on my office desk. It says merely, "Write moonlight." Two words yet it evokes a depth of feeling on so many levels.

Moonlight on a still lake, surrounded by dark woods. Tatters of cloud part, revealing a reflection - green mirrored eyes gleam within the impassable bramble.

"The moon
was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas, The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor, And the highwayman came riding..."
(The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes) a longtime favorite of mine. I read it aloud to my children and cried in the telling every time. In spite of my emotion, it was one of their favorites.

Fairies dancing in the moonlight, the yellow harvest moon, Indian moon, a fishing moon, moon ring/fairie circle. Moon, Diana, Luna. Thought to bring on lunacy if slept under, moonlight has always been mysterious.

Today take 5 minutes and write "moonlight." Keep writing. Let your thoughts wander. Free associate. What feelings, adjectives, adverbs, nouns flow from your imagination as moonlight spills across your page?

No comments:

Post a Comment